It’s almost like your paperwork is multiplying right before your eyes. You take papers off of your desk, but by noon, there are more. Imagine how much more work you could get done if you could find a way to stay organized?
1. Get into a RoutineIt’s easy to say, “I’ll just clean my desk on Fridays before I leave work,” but how often does that really happen? Make it a daily objective to work through your papers by the day’s end.
2. Decide What to Do With ItYou can break it down into items:
- What can be handled in a couple of minutes
- What needs more time to work on
- What needs to be filed
3. Invest in Storage
Buy file folders, shelves, book cases…whatever it takes to help you get papers and books off your desk and out of sight. Use pencil holders and file trays for things you need daily, and keep them within reach. Everything else you can put out of sight.
4. Get into Your ComputerIt’s really easy to save files wherever your computer sets as the default, but how much time do you waste trying to find things. Set up files for each project or client you have, then add more folders as necessary. The format might look like this:
- Client ABC
- Project plans
- Completed projects